David is an enigma.
From being hailed as “a gifted old soul with brilliant music” to being pooh-pooh’ed as “a goofy kid with music that is anaemic and dull”.
From being described as being “electric” onstage, he had also been dismissed as “irrelevant” and “yoga-like”.
This man is mysteriously incalculable despite all the analysis.
Personally, I feel David is an interesting man – he is complex and layered, individualistic and full of contradictions.
To me, an enigmatic quality of an artiste is very attractive and interesting. The mystery evoked by it keeps one going back for more to find out what it’s all about.
There are so many contradictions surrounding him that they can possibly fill a book:
1. As you guys know, he is such a food junkie. He will gobble up any dish that is placed before him, then tweet about it in delight. Granted, he may not want to cause his host displeasure or offend the cook. But I suspect the real motivation is:
a twinkle (or two) devours his vision and churns his tummy juices when he sees food.
Anyway, my point here is: How come he eats and eats and does not grow fat?
Even his digestive system and metabolic rate are candidates for contradictions?
2. He eats all kinds of spicy foods from various countries like Samoa, Africa and Malaysia, why is it his complexion and skin are still so silky smooth and glowy? – devoid of pimples, blackheads, acne, open-pores and such like?
3. As you already know, he constantly tugs at his tee shirt. Desperate to not expose his underwear, which he deems improper and vulgar. Yet, he often dons tees made of thin fabrics, knowing pretty darn well that there will be nothing left for the imagination in the spotlights of the creepy eyes of women, when he perspires. (I’m not complaining 🙂 – just saying)
4. He preaches modesty but he sneakily inspires write-ups about his ample thighs in skinny jeans, about his sensual hip movements and suggestive shoulder pumps – not to mention those cheeky, flirtatious eye contacts with the more than willing women in the audience.
5. He possesses excessive wisdom which seems to indicate that he has lived many lives before. But an old soul should at least decorously wear a few wrinkles on his face. Why does he shamelessly own a face that could launch a thousand ships?
6. He prances around a concert stage with wild, youthful abandon and is yet able to contrastingly triumph in moving souls in the austerity of The Tabernacle.
7. He wants to mend and comfort hearts by singing songs like Things Are Gonna Get Better – but instantly turns around, with an evil grin on his face, and breaks those self-same hearts with his voice in anguished pain.
8. If he is a shy person as he professes, why is it he can out-stare me into my extinction?
9. He gives sweet and gentle looks to us suckers but dangerously hides a lethal weapon behind those “come hither” eyes – which can cost us dear.
10. He is petite in size but nonchalantly exudes an aura so dang humongous that can swallow an elephant.
11. He holds us close and dear but yet contemplates abandoning us to possibly take on a mission.
(please hold your tears – it’s just a naughty rumour!)
12. Ok your turn!
– We have taken a mystical joy in his purity and the colour of innocence
– We have also taken a sanctified view, the refuge of his deadly prowess
Such is the confounded mystery that has invaded our senses
And such is the enigma of men with greatness in them – in their capability – and, more often than not, their destiny.